Each hand made Ferrocerium Rod is unique which is why product imagery changes for each one.
Ferro Rod Specification and materials
- Red Deer Antler polished with natural patterning and shape.
- Veg Tan 3.8mm thick Leather wet formed and burnished.
- Leather has been oil soaked with Neetsfoot Oil for full weather proofing.
- Saddle stitched red waxed Tiger thread, double stitched.
- Thick locking lace and tab with wooden bead.
- Locking lace knots are stitched so that they cannot come loose.
- Ferro rod has been keyed and fixed inside the antler, then waxed and sealed.
- A Felt Logo Patch is also included with the Ferro Rod.
Antler handled 13mm wide by 130mm long Ferrocerium Rod with leather sheath and locking cord. Ferrocerium Rods are popular fire lighting tools used in Bushcraft and Survival skills and can be found in medical, military and emergency kits almost all over the world. The metal composite of the rod can be scraped with a sharp object to shave off small particles of metal which ignite and produce white hot sparks of up to 3000 degrees Fahrenheit.I select, cut and polish the antler handle from the antlers of Red Deer. The antler is drilled with a hand turned drill to ensure a clean hole that is no deeper than necessary. The Ferrocerium Rods I use are the same rods I have used throughout my YouTube Channel and they are of a medium harness. The larger rods I use last for an incredibly long time and depending on how often you use them, and of course your technique, they can last a lifetime.
The leather is veg tan cow hide cut and tooled by myself using hand tools. I wax all the thread used to stitch the sheath and burnish and seal the end grain of the leather to help repel moisture. I finish everything I can to the best of my ability and always make items aesthetically pleasing but truly designed to be used.